Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jeßus[_3_] Jeßus[_3_] is offline

Default What's in it - mcdonald's French Fries

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 21:02:32 -0400, j Burns >
wrote:

>On 7/10/13 7:37 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> Come across this yesterday and was having a discussion about this with
>> a friend, thought I'd re-post it here FYI...
>>
>> According to Macdonalds, here is the contents of their French Fries:
>>
>> "what's in it | McDonald's
>> potatoes
>> We like our fries and hash browns fluffy on the inside, crunchy on the
>> outside. That’s why we use potato varieties like Russet Burbank,
>> Shepody and Russet Ranger"
>> http://mcdonalds.com.au/our-food/whats-in-it
>>
>> Here's what's *actually* in their French Fries:
>>
>> Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural
>> flavour (vegetable source), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate
>> (maintain colour), citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane
>> (antifoaming agent) and cooked in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil,
>> soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with THBQ, citric acid and
>> dimethylpolysiloxane) and salt (silicoaluminate, dextrose, potassium
>> iodide)
>> http://www.undergroundhealth.com/mcd...ncluding-gmos/
>>
>> All GMO, where possible, of course.
>> And here I was just using oil and potatoes!
>>

>They made their name on delicious tallow fries, which I think are
>wholesome.

I agree, nothing wrong with tallow - if it really is plain tallow.

>I believe it was Science in the Public Interest, a front for
>the soybean industry,

Don't you just love the names they come up with, much like many
'institutes'.

>that mounted a propaganda campaign of junk
>science, claiming Mcdonald's fries were bad for you and partially
>hydrogenated soybean oil was good. In fact, it had been established
>that the latter was deadly, but public opinion forced Mcdonald's to go
>to vegetable oil.

Yep. No end of other examples of that happening with other food items,
plus things like hemp/cannabis, etc.