Posted to rec.food.historic
K[_8_] K[_8_] is offline

Default common crackers

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> I sometimes run across recipe that call for common crackers and
> have had NO idea how large they were, which made it hard to
> estimate that quantity of crumbs needed. I am flipping through a
> book and just came across this, written by Ralph E. Flanders, the
> then-Senator from Vermont: "The cracker called for in this recipe
> is the old-fashioned 'common cracker' which in the old days filled
> the cracker barrel at the country store. It goes under various
> aliases such as St. Johnsbury cracker, Keene cracker, Montpelier
> cracker, Hanover cracker, etc. It is the grandfather of the
> regular oyster cracker, being however about three inches in diameter."
>
> Source: The All American Cook Book: Favorite Recipes of Famous
> Persons. Sponsored by American Legion Auxiliary Schuetz-Hermann
> Unit 283, Lebanon, Illinois. Marceline, Missouri: Walsworth
> Bros., 1954. Page 46.

Also found this at-
http://www.food.com/recipe/common-crackers-273527

Looks a little less complex

Ingredients:

Yields: 24 crackers

4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1 cup plus milk
plus extra milk, to brush on crackers
Directions:

1
Sift together flour, salt and sugar.

2
Cut in butter until mixture has the consistency of corm meal.

3
Stir in enough milk to make a stiff dough.

4
Roll to 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured board.

5
Cut into 3-4 inch rounds.

6
Prick surface with a fork.

7
Brush surface with milk.

8
Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake in a 425°F oven for 15 to 18
minutes or until light golden brown.

9
Store in an airtight container.

10