Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Help with juice

I am trying to find something for my diabetic dad to drink. I know that he
loves juice! Not long before he went into the adult group home, he
complained to us that you could no longer buy single serve juices! I knew
this wasn't true. He said he had looked at Albertsons and they had none.
Since there is an Albertson's near Angela's dance studio I am very familiar
with that store. They have some. I was concerned because based on what I
had heard my mom say, he needed some for hypos. So on the way to their
house, we stopped at a little mini store for drinks for ourselves. They had
a small can of pineapple juice, chilled. We bought it, took it to him and
watched in horror as he downed it, right after lunch!

Fast forward to now. He is in this place where they do not make him drink.
And they have been concerned several times about him possibly having a UTI
again. So he keeps having to go to the Dr. for that. He hasn't had any
but... Mostly he only drinks just enough water to swallow his pills. And
that's maybe an ounce or two at best with meals. Not enough!

For a while he was refusing to drink at all, swallowing his pills dry. They
serve Crystal Light with meals which he says is awful and he won't drink it.
He used to love the stuff but... He has dementia. Won't get into the
particulars of that here but from what I have heard/read, it either changes
the taste buds or does something mentally. But bottom line, the suffers
think they no longer like things that they used to. My mom finally
suggested that he get plain water and he will at least drink a little of
that.

He used to drink coffee and tea but gave those up because of the caffeine.
Also gave up all diet soda and anything fizzy. Not sure that he ever liked
lemonade. Never saw him drink that. I know that he used to drink tomato
juice and V8 when I was a kid but I think that was more due to the diet that
he put himself on and not because he likes them. He says that he doesn't
like them.

I had been bringing him single serve diet Cranberry juices and he was
happily downing them. Until the last bottle. He managed to finish it but
kept making faces and saying that it was horrible! He will occasionally
accept and partially drink a bottle of water but we really have to keep on
him to drink any. I have some new fruit flavored drinks. Can't remember
what they are called. Not fizzy. Won't try them.

So my question is... Are there any other diet juices out there? I used to
buy some V8 Splash and it was good but I can't seem to find it in diet.
Would prefer single serve but if I can't get that I could bring a larger one
and some cups. Have not looked at every store but have looked at maybe 3 or
4 and came up dry. Have found some "light" apple juice but it's still
pretty high in carbs.

Or do you have any other drink suggestions? He can't have dairy. He was
using rice milk at home on his cereal but he doesn't like to drink that.
Thanks!