Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking
casa bona casa bona is offline

Default One superb mustard-based sauce

http://www.bbqsaucereviews.com/salt-...-que-sauce-55/

Salt Lick Original Recipe Bar-B-Que Sauce (5/5)

Smell/Aroma
A nice natural sweet mustard smell with a hint of mystery. I’d almost
describe it as Drunken Mustard… there’s something mildly intoxicating
about the combination of these fine flavors.

Consistency
Excellent movement in the bottle. If this sauce was a beer, it would be
a Guinness. If it were a salsa it would be the chunky stuff. The warning
on the label says it all -

SHAKE WELL BEFORE EACH USE.
SEPARATION IS NORMAL.

This isn’t overstated, it’s simply fact that there’s enough salts and
spices and specks floating around in the bottle to figure you are
tasting something good, and real. It clings to the meat well, and in the
case of my chicken and pork chops, it really did the trick clinging to
the poultry and the pig.

Before Cooking Flavor
I dipped in a finger and pulled out a winner and it was more
finger-licking good than anything that cheesy fried chicken chain could
offer (although I do enjoy the KFC potato wedges). Mustardy sweet, with
strong garlic/onion tinge and with enough Worcestershire to make for
something a bit more complex. Worcestershire with its usually present
helping of anchovies, effectively offlimits my wife, who’s been a
vegetarian for about 15 years straight. Sometimes she tastes with me,
but usually not.