Posted to alt.food.diabetic
pavane[_5_] pavane[_5_] is offline

Default What am I doing wrong with my cauliflower mashed potatoes?

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 06/23/2013 11:58 AM, KROM wrote:
>> you'd be better off roasting the cauliflower in the oven first..but
>> since you love the pressure cooker...cook the cauli in a bit of oil with
>> garlic to brown them a bit before pressure cooking with no water on a
>> lower heat..it has plenty of water in it.
>>
>> I think your over boiling it and getting that sulfur/metallic taste
>>
>> KROM

> Hi KROM,
>
> Thank you!
>
> How much oil (depth) would you use to keep from burning
> the cauliflower?

Answer 1: Just a sprinkling, very light to keep it from sticking.
The way you do this btw is put the flowerlets into a large plastic
bag, then add a glug or so of oil (good olive) and sprinkles of s+p
and whatever other seasoning. Seal and shake,then roast it, see #3.

Answer 2: You do not want to roast the cauliflower. Roasting will
dry it out which is the opposite of what you are trying to achieve
by steaming it (ie, moistening it) in the pc or preferably in the
microwave. Focus on your goal of cauliflower mashed potatoes,
not roasted cauli and garlic. And forget pressure cooker, it is
simply the wrong thing for this style of food.

Answer 3: You can make very nice roasted cauliflower by breaking
it up into flowerlets, then tossing with a little oil, s+p and whatever
seasoning appeals (chili powder, garlic salt, lemon pepper, nothing)
and spreading it on a flat baking sheet. Roast at 350 or so for about
20 minutes, or until it is nicely browned and tenderish. This is great
finger food and excellent side dishes due to the versatility of the
added seasoning. This is very different from making mash.

pavane