Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Cheri[_3_] Cheri[_3_] is offline

Default Ping Cheri: artichokes

"Todd" > wrote in message
>> I just made jumbo artichokes yesterday. I put them in a casserole dish
>> with lid,
> > turned them top side down, added about 1/2 cup water, put the lid on

> and micro
> > for about 14 minutes due to the size. Perfect. When I took them out,

> turned
>> right side up and drizzled with some olive oil and lemon juice. They were
> > really good.
> >
>> Cheri

> Hi Cheri and Friends,
>
> I can eat one medium artichoke at a time: 14 carbs.
>
> http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nu...e/carbohydrate
>
> The way I cook my artichokes is to cut (saw) off the stickery top
> first. Then drizzled olive oil into the leaves. Then pressure
> cook right side up, so the oil doesn't drain out. Serve
> with beef. (Now that I am T2 [niddm], a lot of beef!)
>
> What happens when you nuke the upside down? Is there any
> texture, taste difference between nuking and autoclaving
> (pressure cooking)? (I want to reproduce your "really
> good"!)
>
> Have you ever stuffed the leaves? My mother use to do that.
> It was really good, but seemed like a tremendous amount of
> work. Far, far easier just to server beef on the side.
>
> Do you use any special seasoning? Or just olive oil and
> lemon juice? Would you put the lemon juice on before cooking?
>
> My local CSA farm tried growing artichokes last year.
> I wonder if they are going to try again this year.
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

No, I don't use special seasonings, just salt and pepper. I use butter for
dipping. I cook mine upside down, and then turn up and drizzle with the
olive oil and lemon juice that I have combined. I like simple, but I do know
some people do stuff etc. before I nuked them, I used to steam them in a
pot. I do use a pressure cooker often, but I haven't used for artichokes.

Cheri