Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default What is "Lamb neck"?

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 06/19/2013 04:38 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>
> On 06/19/2013 10:55 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Todd" > wrote in message
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> It happened again. Left a customer's site with "food".
>>> (Love my customers.)
>>>
>>> This time, he had a freezer full of six month old, locally
>>> grass fed, lamb. Now the package labeled "chops" I can
>>> figure out. But the one labels "1/2 lamb neck": never
>>> heard of.
>>>
>>> What is a "1/2 lamb neck"? And, how do you cook it?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T

>> Usually used in stews. I really like lamb neck, and from the net:
>>
>> Preparation
>> Cooking the meat on the bone will add more flavour to the dish and is
>> the most economical way of using this cut. Use it as a substitute for
>> oxtail or any other stewing meat, or cook it in the traditional
>> dishes
>> of Irish stew and Lancashire hot pot.
>>

> Hi Cheri,
>
> Thank you! Thank does explain it.
>
> Anyone have a suggestion on how to cook a "paleolithic" (NIDDM) stew?
>
> ===================================
>
> Use any veggies you like and can tolerate bg-wise. Garlic and onion
> are
> the core of mine. Then celery, carrots (if you tolerate), cabbage, bit
> of red wine. Stock if you want or just a bit of water. No need to
> thicken unless you want to. Nice in a slow cooker if you have one. Add
> faster cooking veggies close to the end, like mushrooms, zuchini etc.

Hi Ozgirl,

Thank you! This will be an adventure.

I wonder how a turnip would go?

I add them personally. Always have, even when insulin resistance was at
its worst. In a large soup (I cook enough to last a few days) the
individual serving of turnip is small. I made soup yesterday actually. 2
litres of a good quality vegetable stock, onions, garlic, carrots,
celery (including the leaves), shredded cabbage, crushed tomatoes, a can
of red kidney beans and a can of lentils. I normally use fresh lentils
but had a can in the pantry for some reason so used it up. I also put in
6 sliced German frankfurts and a good lot of smoked paprika. Had no
turnip in the house this time around.