Janet Bostwick

Default Proofing bread at home.

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
> So I specifically latched on to the above
> "In fact, I don't recall too
> > >many comments about accurately measuring the temperature of the dough
> > >or the surrounding environment."

> thanks,
> Dee

Two possibilities I think. My daughter recently complained that she
couldn't get her wheat bread to rise. I noticed that she was taking ice
cold ingredients from storage and mixing the yeast with tepid water. That's
an easy fix. Make sure that the ingredients are room temperature warm and
use water for the yeast according to package instructions and you should end
up with a finished dough that is about 80F--perfect. The other possibility
is that you are using too much flour either in the mixing or kneading, and
the dough is too stiff to rise well--dough doesn't have to look dry and
crumbly to be too dry.
Janet