Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Billy[_8_] Billy[_8_] is offline

Default RECIPE: coconut flour pancakes (low carb, gluten free)

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 06/08/2013 05:55 PM, Billy wrote:
> > And for those of us who don't know about Erythritol (sounds like
> > something I'd find in a lab), are they GMO free [I see that they are
> > yeast fermented but I'm new at this game], or should one worry at all
> > when buying it? A little counsel, please.
> >
> > I see Doris uses sugar, so I presume that stevia would work as well.

> Hi Billy,
>
> Here is a good glycemic index page of all the sugars:
>
> http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide...weeteners.html
>
> The glycemic index is how fast a sugar/carb gets into your
> system. They set the dreaded "Glucose" at 100. Glocose
> is also known as Dextrose.
>
> On the table you will notice that "Maltodextrin" is rated
> at 110. Worse than Glucose. And, due to a "loophole"
> in our poor labeling laws, it is not listed as a sugar or carb.
> (This is why I call it "Liar's Glucose".)
>
> And, be very, very careful with "Sucralose" (Splenda), unless
> you want to add cancer to you list of problems. Sucralose
> is a failed pesticide. (So lets feed it to humans! Wonder
> who was the first person brave enough to taste it?)
>
> http://www.wnho.net/splenda_chlorocarbon.htm
> http://thepeopleschemist.com/splenda...at-explodes-in
> ternally/
> http://www.draxe.com/dangerous-splen...tificial-sweet
> ener/
>
> I try my best to avoid chemistry set food like Erythritol.
> And it is not carb free either.
>
> I personally use Stevia. But, I have to warn you, before
> you are use to it, it tastes like gasoline.

I've grown it, and some taste better than others, but it is all
acceptible. White powders, I don't know.

> But, the good news
> is that you do get use to it.
>
> Here is an idea for a simple treat. When I am in the office,
> I suck on frozen blue berries. Blue Berries have properties
> that are great for Diabetics. Add they are low enough in carbs
>
> http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...-juices/1851/2
>
> (Keep it to about 1/2 cup at a time or stretch a cup out all day.)
>
> Also take a look at
> Hypoglycemic effect of Opuntia streptacantha Lemaire in NIDDM
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3276479
>
> Very, very good for non-insulin dependent T2's.
>
> In pill form (the one I use):
> http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swans...us-opuntia-650
> -mg-180-caps
>

> Hope that helps, somewhat,
> -T

<http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Vaccinium+myrtillus>

The dried leaves of bilberries [blueberries] are used in the treatment
of a variety of complaints[4]. These leaves should be harvested in early
autumn, only green leaves being selected, and then dried in gentle
heat[4]. The leaves should not be used medicinally for more than 3 weeks
at a time[254]. A tea made from the dried leaves is strongly astringent,
diuretic, tonic and an antiseptic for the urinary tract[4]. It is also a

remedy for diabetes

if taken for a prolonged period[4]. Another report says that the leaves
can be helpful in pre-diabetic states but that they are not an
alternative to conventional treatment[254]. The leaves contain
glucoquinones, which reduce the levels of sugar in the blood[238].
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.