Dee Randall

Default Perfect whole wheat loaf

"jpatti" > wrote in message
om...

..<snip>People going for longer-term storage than I am do much more complex
stuff involving dried ice in gas-impermeable plastic bags to limit the
oxygen exposure, but unground wheat keeps for a long time, so I don't
see the point really. The fat in whole wheat flour goes rancid over
time if it's sitting around ground, but unground stuff lasts for
years. .<snip>

I can vouch for the fact that whole wheat doesn't go bad for "years." I
bought 50-100# of organic whole wheat sometime in 1994 from one of the
local Mormon's who took orders and had it shipped in from Utah -- so they
said. I have lbs. and lbs. of adzuki beans that are still good, plus some
other things. The only problem being that the lids are so darned tight and
the barrels are so cumbersome, I tend not to open them and use them. I move
them from floor to floor depending on the season to keep them cool. But the
last time I opened the ww, it smelled so darned sweet, I almost swooned.
Nothing like that in the grocery or health food stores, I can assure you.
If there is, I haven't found it.

I lost touch with the lady a year after I got my order, but it's a good
thing, because I would have a grainery here.

Dee

Dee