Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Karen[_11_] Karen[_11_] is offline

Default Recipe, sort of: Pumpkin, chorizo and shrimp bisque

On Tue, 28 May 2013 18:23:14 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> wrote:

>"Susan" > wrote in message
>> z-no-archive: yes
>>
>> I'll start off by apologizing to Wendy for all the traif.
>>
>> I started out planning this, because I believed I had all the ingredients
>> in the house:
>> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-Bisque-104123
>>
>> I had bought U.S. shrimp instead of Costco's from Indonesia and all I
>> could get raw was peeled already, so no go this time.
>>
>> I can't wait to try it that way next time. It inspired me to modify my
>> winter pumpkin andouille sausage soup, and instead I made pumpkin and
>> shrimp bisque with chorizo, which is fabulous with shellfish, IME.
>>
>> I sauteed some garlic, two chopped shallots, chopped celery and two cubed
>> chorizos (about 6" long each) and adding some white wine when they were
>> softened a bit.
>>
>> Brought that to a boil briefly, then added two cans of organic pumpkin
>> puree, some really lousy store bought chicken stock (I had to add a lot of
>> Better Than Bouillon chicken paste later, out of home made stock). I
>> tossed in two bay leaves and a couple of sage sprigs and some salt and
>> black pepper and brought it to short of a boil, then set it all teh way to
>> the lowest heat and let it sit, covered on low until Tom got home, worked
>> out, and felt like eating.
>>
>> I then sauteed the lb of shrimp with a small handful of chopped fresh sage
>> leaves in EVOO and dumped them into the soup, after adding a cup of heavy
>> cream. Let it sit a few, then we ate.
>>
>> Very warming, rich and wonderful meal on a cold, rainy NY day after
>> Memorial Day with the heat on and grey skies.
>>
>> Susan

>Sounds good, and I envy you the cold, rainy day. Hasn't been too bad these
>past few days but his San Joaquin Valley is hot and supposed to be 100 by
>Friday. I hate the heat. :-)
>
>Cheri

I heard that too Cheri. I can't say I'm looking forward to 100
degrees though.
--
Kaye

http://theconversation.edu.au/altern...academics-5058
"Ian, when a person says "up to 90%" it can be anywhere ranging from 1 to 90."
Carole Hubbard