Old 26-05-2013, 11:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default ?Poblano!

On 5/26/2013 4:48 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/25/2013 09:05 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 5/25/2013 9:31 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/25/2013 01:42 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 5/25/2013 12:27 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/25/2013 08:25 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 5/24/2013 11:35 PM, Opple0pňad wrote:
On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:00:57 -0700, Todd
wrote:

Thank you!

Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(

Are you living in an assisted living facility?

You can also use a toaster oven.

I have a gas grill on my patio. I char them on the grill then put
them
into a plastic baggie until they are cool enough to peel.

In my situation, would blanching them work? I would miss
the smoky flavor, but the skins would come off.

Blanching then a dip in ice water would work to peel them, but you
would
miss the smokey flavor. Can you char them in the broiler?

Do I even need them skinned?

Yes, you do. Even for chili rellenos, you need to skin them.

Hi Janet,

Something went wrong. I cored it, cut it in half, pulled
the seeds out, dunked the two halves into boiling salted water
for three minutes, then stuck them in freezing cold water.

1) the skins did not come off

2) they tasted like a premium quality green bell pepper.
No kick whatsoever. Even my wife thought there was no kick.

What did I do wrong?

-T

chili rellenos sound so good too!

I would have dunked the whole pepper before cutting in boiling water for
about 5 or 6 minutes. I've done this with bell peppers I wanted to cut
up and freeze for later use.

That is what I get for looking it up on the web, instead of
asking here. I underblanched. (You realize I actually
"undercooked" something. Didn't think it possible.)

LOL!

The *best* way to skin peppers is really to char them and put them in a
bag as we discussed before.

No doubt. I am afraid to bring the burn fumes back into the house
(asthma).

Thank you!

-T

Does your Trophy Wife ever go out while you stay at home? That might be
a good time to open all the windows, turn on all the vent fans and char
a couple of peppers. :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas