Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Revenge of the Shopping Cart

On 5/23/2013 10:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> I went to our local supermarket this evening and it was a bit breezy.
> In the row across from where I parked a woman was unloading her cart.
> She had a number of bags so I did not wait for it to be empty and
> walked to the store entrance. She put the cart on the right side of
> her car, blocking the parking spot next to her, then walked around to
> the left side and got in.
>
> As she got in and shut the door, a gust of wind caught the cart and
> moved it around to the rear quarter panel, just as she backed out.
> From where I stood, looked like no serious damage, but a couple of
> scratches.
>
> Maybe she'll go to Aldi's the next time.

I really, truly do not understand why people don't take shopping carts
back to the store. I am grateful I have two good legs. I don't have a
problem returning the cart.

I should note, there are no "cart corrals" at the Publix where I shop.
The building codes here require they not remove trees. In order to have
parking sufficient (and also required by ordinance) for the size of the
store they can't also have cart corrals. So... we are supposed to take
them back to the store. I *always* do that. There is a place for them
lined up outside the entrance. Also a line of carts just inside the store.

What is so terribly difficult about this concept? As I said in the
Aldi's thread, I'm grateful I have two good legs. It doesn't bother me
to walk to take the cart back. You will also never catch me parking in
a handicapped spot. I also don't drive around in circles looking for
someone to leave just so I can get the closest parking space.

Jill