Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default newbie to T2

On 05/23/2013 03:14 AM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> Got a golucometer?

My favorite is Walmart's Relion Micro. The supplies are
reasonably prices too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Relion-Mic...r-1ct/19276256

Welcome to the "Pin Cushion Club"!

You have to start reading labels for carbs. A couple of
things to be aware of, as our labeling laws have a lot
to be desired.

1) If the carbs are lower than 1 gram, they are allowed
to put zero on the label. This is why you will see
ridiculously low serving sizes (200 servings! my ...)

2) Maltodextrin, or liar's glucose, explodes into
glucose the second it hits your system. It even has a
higher glycemic index that does glucose itself. And,
due to a loop hole in the labeling law, it is not
counted as a carbohydrate.

And, read this article about traditional medicine and
Diabetes:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3276479
Hypoglycemic effect of Opuntia streptacantha Lemaire in NIDDM

Made a huge difference for me. Cut my Met in half and
got rid of a lot of the other symptoms. You can get it in
pill form. Here is the one I take:

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swans...50-mg-180-caps

But it is more fun to cook it!

Ands, most important, make cooking fun. That way you will
never be tempted to poison yourself with carbs again.
You can even make pizza in low carb!

-T