Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default fish sticks?

On 05/21/2013 05:56 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/21/2013 6:31 PM, Todd wrote:
>> On 05/21/2013 03:45 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>> lol, there is only a certain amount of breading that will actually stick
>>> to a piece of fish or other animal protein. I think you might be
>>> over-estimating just how much of the breading you will actually use. I
>>> would go for the crumbs of low carb bread. A very little amount of oil
>>> just layering the bottom of a pan (preheat oil in the oven, pop in the
>>> fish, turn once. Fish cooks so quickly in an oven, no need for deep
>>> frying. Dip in egg, shake the egg off a little, lay one side on a thin
>>> bed of crumbs, turn over and you are ready

>> Hi Ozgirl,
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Yes, I may be overestimating.
>>
>> Okay, here is what I think you are telling me:
>>

>> No seasoning.
>>
>> 1) scramble up an egg (maybe two).
>>
>> 2) dip the fish in the egg. Then in whatever I come up with
>> for breading.

> You can try pulverizing pecans in a food processor. I use crushed
> pecans as breading for chicken.

Hmmmm. I have access to pecans too. If it works for chicken,
it should work for fish. Thank you!

>> 3) Fry in a little oil (EVOO?). Flip quickly so as to not
>> overcook.
>>

> If you bake the fish it's less calories, but if you are frying, it use
> an oil that is more stable at higher temps like canola or peanut.

I really don't care about calories, as long as they come from fat and
not carbs. And, I don't have access to my oven.

Do you cook you fish on medium or high temp?

> I have used wheat germ, the kind that comes in a jar, for breading and
> filler, like in meat balls.

Wheat germ is suppose to be so good for you too. How is it on the
carb front?

-T