Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default fish sticks?

On 5/21/2013 6:31 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 05/21/2013 03:45 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> lol, there is only a certain amount of breading that will actually stick
>> to a piece of fish or other animal protein. I think you might be
>> over-estimating just how much of the breading you will actually use. I
>> would go for the crumbs of low carb bread. A very little amount of oil
>> just layering the bottom of a pan (preheat oil in the oven, pop in the
>> fish, turn once. Fish cooks so quickly in an oven, no need for deep
>> frying. Dip in egg, shake the egg off a little, lay one side on a thin
>> bed of crumbs, turn over and you are ready

> Hi Ozgirl,
>
> Thank you!
>
> Yes, I may be overestimating.
>
> Okay, here is what I think you are telling me:
>

> No seasoning.
>
> 1) scramble up an egg (maybe two).
>
> 2) dip the fish in the egg. Then in whatever I come up with
> for breading.

You can try pulverizing pecans in a food processor. I use crushed
pecans as breading for chicken.

> 3) Fry in a little oil (EVOO?). Flip quickly so as to not
> overcook.

If you bake the fish it's less calories, but if you are frying, it use
an oil that is more stable at higher temps like canola or peanut.

I have used wheat germ, the kind that comes in a jar, for breading and
filler, like in meat balls.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas