Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default fish sticks?

lol, there is only a certain amount of breading that will actually stick
to a piece of fish or other animal protein. I think you might be
over-estimating just how much of the breading you will actually use. I
would go for the crumbs of low carb bread. A very little amount of oil
just layering the bottom of a pan (preheat oil in the oven, pop in the
fish, turn once. Fish cooks so quickly in an oven, no need for deep
frying. Dip in egg, shake the egg off a little, lay one side on a thin
bed of crumbs, turn over and you are ready Perhaps graham crackers
crushed would work too, we don't get them here so I can't really
comment.

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 05/21/2013 02:59 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> On 05/20/2013 07:09 PM, Todd wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> The love of my life eats the same stuff I do to make
>>> sure there is no temptation for me to cheat. (I had
>>> the good sense to make my trophy wife my first wife.)
>>>
>>> The *ONLY* fish she would eat before my induction into
>>> the pin cushion club was "fish sticks" (battered cod).
>>> She really hates fish too.
>>>
>>> I can get natural flash frozen cod from my local Raley's.
>>> How do I make something that tastes similar to Fish Sticks
>>> and stay with my/our 15 carb per meal limit?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T

>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I am drawing a blank here. The only thing I can think of
>> is walnut powder and *A LOT* of grease. Please rescue me
>> from myself!
>>

> Can you get chick-pea flour? It has a lot of the properties of wheat
> flour that you want with fewer carbs (and less blood sugar hit). If
> you
> have a source for Bob's Red Mill flours and grains (health food store,
> or health food section of your supermarket), you can easily get some.
> use it for breading a lot.

Hi Alice,

Thank you!

Unfortunately I can not. At 53 carbs per cup, chickpea flour blows
my 15 carb per meal limit.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4406/2

I have heard that walnut powder will substitute. Do you have
any experience with such?

-T