Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default carbs for prickly pear leaves??

On 5/13/2013 12:05 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 05/13/2013 06:50 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>>>

>>> pads or the fruit?

>> pads. They peel them and slice them into matchstick-like pieces.
>>

> Hi Janet,
>
> Thank you!
>
> I read somewhere, I forget, that touching the raw pad can cause
> contact dermatitis. Can you confirm or deny?

I have seen little old abuelas (grandmothers) slicing up the pads with
bare hands. If the spines are still on the pads and you prick yourself
with them, it can certainly be a problem.

DH often will take a fallen leaf/pad from one of our prickly pear cacti
and stick it into the ground where a new plant will grow. He never got
dermatitis.

I can neither confirm nor deny dermatitis from touching the pads, but I
have never heard of it happening to anyone.

> Also, I read that after cooking out the yuk factor, they
> tasted somewhat like green beans?

They sort of taste like nothing. They are more about the texture than
the flavor. As I said around here they are mostly served mixed in with
scrambled eggs and it s a pre-Easter dish.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas