Posted to rec.food.cooking
MaryL[_2_] MaryL[_2_] is offline

Default Washing Chicken Prior To Cooking?

"Judy Haffner" wrote in message

I was snooping into another cooking group today and they were discussing
washing raw chicken, which I have always done before cooking
it....rinsing it off under water and drying it, but a poster said that
she was watching the Dr. Oz show and a doctor there said NOT to. He says
by washing you are possibly spreading germs and fecal matter through
your kitchen wherever a stray water droplet carrying the bacteria lands.

He says take it from the package and just cook it thoroughly. The high
temp will kill and germs.

I think I will continue to wash it like I always have and then wash my
hands throughly before continuing on with preparation to cook the
chicken. How many here wash raw chicken?

Judy

~~~~~~~~
I don't wash chicken, for the same reason as given by Dr. Oz. I wash my
hands and the cutting board thoroughly after handling chicken, but I read
several years ago that washing (or soaking) chicken is a good way of
spreading bacteria to the sink. I do keep one set of cutting boards (one
large and one small) for raw meat and poultry and another set for fruit and
veggies. It's easy to keep them separate--the boards I use for meat are
black, and the others are "natural" color.

MaryL