Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Treasure Found!

On 4/23/2013 11:33 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Today I struck gold.
>
> Going through some old canning books, I found Mom's recipe for bread and
> butter pickles.
>
> Written in her own hand.
>
> It's the recipe that has won nine blue ribbons (and six of other colors)
> for me at the Minnesota State Fair. Handwritten! I can tell that she
> copied it from something - the spelling and punctuation were correct.
> (Usually when she wrote, the first word began with a capital letter and
> the document ended with a period. In between, you were on your own.)
> Vi?naja pamjat', Matka.

It's always great to find an heirloom recipe. My mother and yours must
have had a connection, Mom's spelling was, at best, a wild guess and she
didn't know what punctuation was.

What's the language, looks Finnish?

George, resting up from a strenuous trip to the supermarket. Oy vey! the
prices nowadays.