Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default Need Enchilada filling help

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 04/20/2013 06:57 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 4/20/2013 4:57 PM, Todd wrote:

>>> I make a red enchilada sauce with tomato puree. I sautee the cooked
>>> chicken with green peppers, onions, garlic and some of the sauce.
>>> The
>>> sauce inside helps keep the chicken moist, I think.
>>>
>>> I dip the tortillas (I use Mission Carb Balance whole wheat) in the
>>> sauce before stuffing and rolling the enchiladas. Then I put the
>>> enchiladas on a thin layer of sauce and cover with another thin
>>> layer of
>>> sauce (tomatoes have carbs, so I watch the sauce) and cover with
>>> shredded jack cheese and heat.
>>>
>>> Here's the sauce recipe. You can add your own heat. I don't do
>>> heat.
>>>

>>> Enchilada Sauce
>>>

>>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>>> 2 tablespoons oil
>>> 1/2 cup chopped onion
>>> 1 large garlic clove -- minced
>>> 1 tablespoon flour
>>> 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
>>> 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
>>> 1 teaspoon salt -- or to taste
>>> 1 can tomato puree -- (10- 3/4 -ounce)
>>> 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
>>>
>>> Heat the oil in a skillet. Saute onion and garlic until soft. Add
>>> flour
>>> and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add remaining ingredients and simmer,
>>> partly covered, for 15 minutes

>> Thank you! I am missing the tomato puree. Also the last time
>> I only had purple onions available. Should probably switch to
>> white.
>>
>> "Green Peppers"? Can you narrow that down a little?

> Sweet green bell peppers.
>>
>> Do you have a trick on how to turn tomatoes into "puree"?
>> Cook them a lot?

> I buy tomato puree in a can at the grocery store.

The ones I looked at have sugar added and are a bit carbie.
Do you have a favorite low carb brand?

-------------------

I am in Oz so won't comment on brands but canned tomatoes have more
lycopene than fresh. I use fresh for salads but for cooking I always use
canned, whether whole, chopped, crushed or puree. Lycopene is what gives
things like tomatoes the red pigment. It is an antioxidant and said to
be helpful in reducing risk of macular degeneration (good idea for
diabetics), cancers and cardiovascular disease. Red/purple onions are
high in antioxidants as well and also a good source of quercetin.
Quercetin is said to be good as a anti-inflammatory and antihistamine.
Also helpful in preventing cardiovascular disease as well.

The late Quentin Grady, a regular poster in the diabetic groups, did a
lot of research into the health-promoting components of foods (foods
that also fitted in with a lower carb way of eating). Before he passed
away he finished and published a book called "Nutrition for Blokes". Not
sure where you can purchase it but I am sure it would be packed with
ideas about things like quercetin and lycopene