Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Carnitine nonsense refuted

"Todd" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> If you have been noticing a lot of talk about Carnitine causing
> heart disease, yaya, yaya, yada lately and wondered about
> the peculiar odor of vegetarian propaganda reeking off of it,
> Live Extension Foundation (lef.org) got tired of it and wrote
> a *very well documented* (meaning references out the nose)
> article on the subject.
>
> And, no, Carnitine doesn't cause heart disease. It helps with
> the problem.
>
> http://www.lef.org/featured-articles...mpaign=IND301E
>
> What concerns us from the paper, is the following:
>
> Carnitine Fights Diabesity
>
> As obesity rates skyrocket, more and more Americans are
> developing type II diabetes as a result, producing a
> syndrome called "diabesity."18,19
>
> Since carnitine helps the mitochondria utilize energy,
> it plays a critical role in reducing the occurrence
> and impact of diabesity.20 Recent studies show that in
> addition to helping the mitochondria burn fat as energy,
> carnitine is also vital for removing waste products from
> mitochondria.21,22 This is important because we now
> recognize that the buildup of mitochondrial waste products
> is one of the most important contributors to insulin
> resistance, which further promotes high blood sugar and
> obesity.23
>
> Obesity and aging contribute to low carnitine levels,
> which compromises mitochondrial performance and increases
> insulin resistance, promoting further obesity and carnitine
> reduction. Restoring carnitine levels to their youthful
> values is an effective way to break this deadly cycle.21
>
> Human volunteers who took L-carnitine 3 grams/day for 10
> days had favorable changes in body composition.24
> Supplemented patients used their fat for energy, burning it
> 22% faster than control patients, without any increase in
> muscle protein breakdown. In another study, using 2 grams/day
> for 6 months, demonstrated a loss of total fat mass of 4
> pounds, with a gain in lean muscle mass of 8.4 pounds.25
>
> Animal studies confirm and extend these findings, showing
> that propionyl-L-carnitine decreases body weight gain,
> food intake, and fat composition while improving insulin
> resistance.20
>
> Carnitine also has multiple favorable effects on elevated
> blood sugar and insulin resistance, the hallmarks of type
> II diabetes.22 Animals fed a high fat diet develop the
> same symptoms and signs that humans do: obesity, insulin
> resistance, abnormal lipid profiles, and liver damage, which
> are known as metabolic syndrome. Just 4 weeks of treatment
> with L-carnitine reversed all of those abnormal
> parameters.18,26-28
>
> Similar effects have been found in diabetic humans. Two grams
> of L-carnitine twice daily for 10 days improved insulin
> sensitivity and reduced insulin levels.29 L-carnitine
> supplementation of two grams/day caused a significant reduction
> in plasma free fatty acids, which contribute to insulin
> [...]

Aargh! Vegetables suit me just fine! Most of the time my diet is vegan.
Probably would be all of the time if I could always get a vegan meal when we
go out to eat. And if I lived alone. But sometimes I have to eat out and
my only option is a hamburger patty. Or I just decide to eat what I am
cooking for my family.