Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Need white meat turkey help

Todd wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Pascha (Orthodox Easter) is around the corner (May 5th) and I
> cook turkey breast cutlets for it. (I like to cook a lot for
> Bright Week -- the week following Pascha. The Trophy
> Wife and I love to watch videos and pig out.)
>
> Okay, I think that big old turkey bird is stupid. You work your
> ass off and barely get anything out of it. (And, I have no
> access to an oven.)
>
> So, I buy turkey cutlets from Trader Joe's -- enough to fill
> one of my 12" saute pans. Usually two packages.
>
> I soak them in a ton of sea salt and cold water in a stainless
> steal pot (my 6L pressure cooker) for at least two hours.
>
> Then, in the saute pan on low heat, I add butter, EVOO, Black
> Pepper, Parsley, Basel, Rosemary, Thyme, slices of Garlic (about
> five cloves). I wait for the arouma to start coming off.
>
> Then I add the cutlets on medium low heat for about five minutes
> and flip. Add more seasoning to top. Cook another five or so
> minutes. Then, being careful not to over cook, slice an
> inconspicuous spot to test for doneness.
>
> And, I get more leftovers than the big old stupid bird. And
> NO BACK PROBLEMS!
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) I usually make Asparagus with it, but since I cook
> asparagus a lot now days, I am afraid I will get tired of
> it. What would you cook with it?

Well, I wouldn't cook it at all but... Don't like asparagus either. But
husband likes asparagus. It's expensive though so he only gets it about 2-3
times a year. Green beans are the preferred vegetable in this house.

> 2) How would you improve anything I describe above?

I would make something else but that's me.

> 3) What are the dripping good for now that I can't make
> gravy? (Remember, 15 I have a 15 carb per meal limit.)

Why can't you make gravy? Can't you use guar gum for thickening?