Brian Macke

Default Proofing bread at home.

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 09:55:41 -0500, Kenneth wrote:

> Well, we certainly disagree...

Quite. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it may be distracting for the
original poster.

> When you say above that "Proofing dough is done at the ideal temperature
> for yeast growth" you are confusing "ideal" with "most rapid."

This is semantical, but remember that I'm speaking about the growth of
yeast. The best way (the ideal way) to grow yeast would be an environment
at the "ideal temperature" for such growth. Rapid yeast growth does not
affect its quality. There is nothing lost intrinsic to the yeast to have
it grow faster. By extension, nothing is lost to have it grow at a slower
temperature. This is why retarding yeast growth doesn't lead to an
inferior product - just takes longer.

> Proofing can, in fact, be "done" at any temperature that allows the yeasts
> to multiply. Dough will proof (slowly) in the refrigerator.

I do not disagree with this. My mere point is that you don't gain much by
doing this. Other than wait time. If that's your goal (making rolls the
night before to give you time to rest overnight) then by all means you can
proof in a refridgerator. They even make retarder-proofers these days that
keep the humidity in the 70-80% range. Just do all the steps to makeup,
put them in the retarder-proofer, set the timer, and come back to
perfectly proofed doughs.

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which