Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default Need Salmon help

On 03/28/2013 11:14 PM, Todd wrote:

>>> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Help!
>>>
>>> A customer of mine gave me two flash frozen salmon fillets
>>> from his fishing trip to Alaska. They are ocean caught fish (not
>>> in a stream yet).
>>>
>>> Okay, here is the problem. I know I like salmon as I
>>> like "other people's" salmon. Mine always comes out dry
>>> and fishy. I stink at salmon.
>>>
>>> Please save me from myself. I don't want to destroy yet
>>> another piece of fish, especially such a rare treat as
>>> this! How do I cook this thing and what seasoning do I use?
>>>
>>> I only have a saute pan available (no grills, ovens etc.).
>>>
>>> Some questions that come to mind:
>>>
>>> 1) do I skin them?
>>>
>>> 2) I usually use a pair of needle nose pliers to
>>> pull out any remaining bones. Does this do
>>> something bad to the meat? (The meat tears a
>>> little.)
>>>
>>> 3) what do I cook it in? Butter? A little or a lot?
>>>
>>> 4) when to flip it?
>>>
>>> 5) how hot to cook it?
>>>
>>> Spices available (please don't recommend any mixes: too
>>> many allergies involved -- I have to use single organic spices):
>>> Parsley
>>> Rosemary
>>> Thyme
>>> real lemon juice
>>> real lime juice
>>> S & P
>>> Garlic
>>> Onion
>>> Basil
>>> Oregano
>>> some others (peppers, etc.)
>>>
>>> As I previously states, please save me from myself!
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T

> On 03/28/2013 10:59 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> I buy cuts of salmon, filleted so no bones.

These are suppose to be boneless too. Hahahahahahahahaha.
I use small needle nose priers.

> Spray some foil with olive
>> oil and put the unskinned salmon on top of the foil. I then put whatever
>> seasonings I like lemon, fresh chopped dill, garlic, lime slices,
>> butter, fresh ginger, crushed tomatoes or whatever else I fancy. Not all
>> of those ingredients at once. Then I fold the foil over the top of the
>> fish like a little tent and cook on low heat for maybe 10 minutes. I
>> check it for doneness at that point. If it needs longer I might do 3-4
>> minutes and check again. Never goes dry that way. Oh, and I don't flip.

> Thank you!

Hi All,

Follow up:

Fried up about 3 lbs. If I bought it at Raley's, it would have
cost about $18/lb. Yikes. I really did not want to ruin some
thing that valuable.

I low heated butter in the pan and added garlic slices, pepper,
and rosemary.

While that was happening, I pulled the remaining bones out of
the fillets. Then squeezed a couple on golf ball sized
lemons on to the fillets and rubbed the juice and pulp in.

Heated the pan to medium-low and added the fillets, with the skin
on. The skins are a pain to remove and, besides, Ozgirl said
I didn't have to. :-)

Cooked about three minutes on each side and removed to stop
cooking. They needed much more rosemary, but they came out
pretty nice. Very tender too. Melt on your fork. No
problem with the skins either. Seemed to keep the fillets
from getting dry.

Thank you all for the tips, suggestions, and moral support.
You guys are a blessing.

-T