Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Senior grocery discounts?

A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Apr 5, 11:37 am, Silvar Beitel > wrote:
>> A blurb in the April 2013 AARP Bulletin:
>>
>> "Many supermarkets offer discounts - typically 5 to 10 percent off
>> your grocery tab - for customers 55-plus who shop on a specific day
>> of the week, often Tuesday or Wednesday. Promotions vary, so ask
>> ahead. Participating chains include Albertson's, Bashas', HI-LO,
>> Food Lion, Fred Meyer, Fry's, Hy-Vee, Kroger, Meijer, Pathmark,
>> Piggly Wiggly and Publix."
>>
>> Never heard of that before. (None of those stores are around here
>> (MA/ NH border), and none of the stores that *are* around here have a
>> senior discount. (I think, but I'll ask next time!) )
>>
>> Do any of you geezers get a senior discount where you shop?
>>
>> --
>> Silvar Beitel

> I've never heard of a 55+ here being considered as a senior when it
> comes to discounts at stores. I asked once, and was told it's 60 and
> up.

Denny's considers 55 to be a senior.

I'll never forget the first time my mom was offered a senior discount. It
wasn't there but another place. My coworker's son was working there. My
mom got all bent out of shape about it. Turns out that she was beyond the
age of getting the discount but she was still bent out of shape. And
wouldn't you know that my coworker's son was the one that offered the
discount. I felt bad for him. You don't want to tangle with my mom.