Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Senior grocery discounts?

graham wrote:
> "Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
>> A blurb in the April 2013 AARP Bulletin:
>>
>> "Many supermarkets offer discounts - typically 5 to 10 percent off
>> your grocery tab - for customers 55-plus who shop on a specific day
>> of the week, often Tuesday or Wednesday. Promotions vary, so ask
>> ahead. Participating chains include Albertson's, Bashas', HI-LO,
>> Food Lion, Fred Meyer, Fry's, Hy-Vee, Kroger, Meijer, Pathmark,
>> Piggly Wiggly and Publix."
>>
>> Never heard of that before. (None of those stores are around here
>> (MA/ NH border), and none of the stores that *are* around here have a
>> senior discount. (I think, but I'll ask next time!) )
>>
>> Do any of you geezers get a senior discount where you shop?
>>

> Judging by the size of the shopping baskets that I've seen many
> seniors take to the checkout, a discount will not make much
> difference to their tab. It's the young families who are struggling
> to get by that need the help. Graham (69)

Part of the problem there is that some seniors just don't have the money to
buy much. And yet they are not low income enough to qualify for any
assistance. Also some seniors get confused by things like coupons so don't
bother to even try to use them. Then again to those same people a senior
discount might confuse them as well. Or they may forget to ask for it. A
restaurant that we dine at used to give a senior discount automatically.
Which is odd to me because they already have a discounted senior menu. But
if you have a senior dining with you, they will discount the entire table.
But then they stopped doing it. When my SIL asked why, she was told that
you need to ask for it. But the senior I dine with always forgets to ask
for it.