Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Freides[_2_] Steve Freides[_2_] is offline

Default Would my own simple syrup sub OK for corn syrup?

Kalmia wrote:

> I use corn syrup so rarely, I'd rather just make a small batch of s.s.
>
> I mainly use it in a brownie recipe.

What I usually call "simple" syrup is equal parts sugar and water -
you'll need a much higher concentration of sugar to substitute for corn
syrup.

There are plenty of syrup substitute formulas on the Internet, e.g., I
found this by Googling "corn syrup substitute"

http://www.tasteofhome.com/cooking-t...for-corn-syrup

The recommendation is 4 parts sugar (or brown sugar) to 1 part water and
the resulting volume is equal to the amount of sugar you use, e.g., a
cup of sugar and a quarter-cup of water yields a cup of corn syrup
substitute.

You'll notice that no mention is made of heating or cooking it
separately - the need for this varies by the recipe but I believe, for
brownies or other baked goods, you're OK not to heat your syrup
substitute first, just stir the two ingredients together and add as
directed by your recipe. For making a simple syrup you can store in a
bottle, you'll need to heat it until the sugar is dissolved the liquid
clear and for some purposes you'll need to heat it even more before
cooling and storing.

-S-