Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default What do you put in your omelets?

On 03/30/2013 05:25 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 03/29/2013 08:47 PM, Jacquie wrote:
> : > Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage
>
> : Hi Jacquie,
>
> : Thank you!
>
> : http://jimmydean.com/products/FullyCookedCrumbles/
>
> : INGREDIENTS: TURKEY, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: WATER, SALT, POTASSIUM
> : LACTATE, SODIUM LACTATE, DEXTROSE, SUGAR, SPICES, CARAMEL COLOR, YEAST
> : EXTRACT, SODIUM DIACETATE, BHT, CITRIC ACID
>

> : Hmmmm. Dextrose, Sugar, MSG (Yeast Extract). Oh well.
>
> : -T
>
> Check the nutrition label for carb levels. That's what is important.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

As Jacquie points out "1 carb per 1/2 cup". And since they called
out a half cup, they are not trying to deceive with the under 1 carb so
they can call it zero labeling loop hole. (Serves 236, serving size
1/100 ounce, carbs 0. Our labeling laws leave a lot to be desired.)

So nothing to fret about. I eat bacon all the time with a tiny
amount of sugar added.

What concerns me is the MSG. MSG is used to make things taste
better so you can cut back on quality, gives you time delayed
headaches (4 to 8 hours after ingestion), gives you asthma,
causes eventual brain damage, and is addictive (keeps you coming
back for more), which is why it is called an excitotoxin.
A good example of "food like substances".

Interesting how they used two different kinds of sugar so they
could say each was under 2%. Combined, well ... (Still low
enough not to matter.)

Thank you for the tip on your sausage!

-T