Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Can you still eat that or should you throw it out?

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 16:26:25 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On Mar 25, 5:04*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:47:59 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > I found an opened bag of black tortilla chips in the back of a
> > > cupboard yest - eww - rancid. *I feel like i"m throwing money in the
> > > garbage, but won't take a chance on it.

> > Frankly, if the package was unopened - I would have opened it and
> > tasted one to see how it held up. *If it didn't taste rancid, I would
> > have used them for something. *Tortilla soup seems appropriate.
> >
> > --
> > Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> Note that the key word was 'opened'. Plus, I think they'd been back
> there for months, hidden behind a box of crackers.

Oooops, sorry! Completely missed that, which changes my mind
entirely. I'd toss it too. Not that I'd think I'd be "taking a
chance" if I tasted one. Rancid wouldn't cross my mind. They'd be
limp and... come to think of it, they might not be stale where you
live in the same way they would be stale here. I'd taste one and see
what I thought.