Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What do you non-insulin T2's eat for breakfast?

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>
> On 03/22/2013 06:23 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> I just remembered something. I just saw a recipe for meat loaf
>> "cupcakes" that jogged my memory A late poster here, JC Hartmann,
>> used to make batches of meat loaf in muffin tins at night and heat up a
>> couple every morning for a quick business person's breakfast. Another
>> friend "Adam" cooks up hard boiled eggs by the dozen for quick and easy
>> breakfasts and snacks. When low carb meals and snacks are already
>> prepared it makes it easier to eat right in my opinion. At times when
>> there is nothing prepared in my fridge I have been known to take the
>> easy way out and make a peanut butter sandwich.... At good times I have
>> hard boiled eggs, muffin size frittatas, crudités, olives, meats etc. at
>> the ready in the fridge. Another poster, Alan S, often has his low carb
>> beef stew for breakfast. Yesterday at lunch, when my mouth was so sore
>> and that one sensitive tooth howled every time I accidentally chewed
>> with it, I opened a can of salmon, poured a bit of balsamic vinegar over
>> it on the plate and scarfed it down. Afternoon tea was some ice-cream
>> and tub of WW mango jelly with peaches Dinner was fried eggs and
>> mushrooms, unfortunately the mushies hurt the tooth too much to eat.

> Hi Oz,
>
> Ouch! Get that tooth looked at.
>
> Thank you for the tips! I make soft boiled eggs occasionally,
> but can only eat a few and I am still hungry afterward.
> Maybe I just don't know what to prepare them with?
>
> That meat loaf thing sounds interesting. Any favorite
> formulas/recipes?
>
> ______________
>
> There was an infection under the tooth, had it x-rayed yesterday,
> antibiotics have kicked in Add any low carb veggie to eggs to fill it
> out. Maybe a bit of full fat cheese to much on as well. I don't have a
> favourite meat loaf recipe as I toss in whatever I have at the time. I do
> always mix in some "sausage mince" to use as a binder. Do remember though
> that to make in a muffin tin you need fairly low fat ingredients or you
> get a pool of fat around each muffin. Sausage mince is fatty. From memory,
> JC used either Graham crackers or low carb bread as the binder with some
> egg. So start with lean beef mince (what you call hamburger?), some kind
> if binder like the bread or crackers, chopped onion, herbs of your choice,
> one beaten egg, salt and pepper. I used a bit of Worcestershire sauce
> sometimes and chopped tomatoes. I always taste my raw mince mixtures
> before cooking to make sure they taste right, especially with the salt.
>
> As with most things, I sauté things like onion and garlic first for more
> flavour. I would probably cook for about 20-25 mins at 350?F. We are
> metric here, someone might suggest a different temp as I am guessing. I
> haven't made these for a while but I do remember I loved them for lunch,
> nuked, and with the salad veggies we have on hamburgers here (lettuce,
> [...]

I learned here to cook the veggies first. Chop finely or put through the
food processor, then sauté in a little olive oil until they're soft and the
liquid has cooked out. If you don't do this, they will give off liquid as
the meatloaf cooks and it can make a mess in your oven. I always use
peppers and onions. Usually some spinach, zucchini, maybe some carrots,
tomatoes, perhaps mushrooms.

I do not put milk or egg in mine but tomato juice, or a mixed vegetable
juice. I used to use a small amount of oatmeal that had been whizzed in the
blender. Would soak that in the juice. But I can't have oats now. Now
that I think of it, I'm not so sure that my bread would be good in there
because it tastes sweet. Angela eats a sugar free bran cereal. I'll bet
that would work if crushed up. Or maybe I can find some kind of whole wheat
crackers. I don't put a lot of filler in mine. Maybe a handful to a huge
bowl of mix. I make it in my huge pasta bowl and it is enough to make at
least 4-6 meals for three of us.

I do use Italian type seasonings and ketchup. And I like to top it with
chili sauce. Of course there are carbs in these things. I used to buy the
low carb ketchup from Heinz but not sure they make it any more. I have
tried other brands but they reminded me of tomato paste. So I suppose you
could also use a little tomato paste and perhaps a bit of extra seasoning.

I don't usually like sausage in my meatloaf or anything else because I am
not a sausage lover. But my husband's aunt made it with sausage and ground
beef and it was good. She likely used Italian mild sausage.