Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default What do you non-insulin T2's eat for breakfast?

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 03/22/2013 06:23 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
> I just remembered something. I just saw a recipe for meat loaf
> "cupcakes" that jogged my memory A late poster here, JC Hartmann,
> used to make batches of meat loaf in muffin tins at night and heat up
> couple every morning for a quick business person's breakfast. Another
> friend "Adam" cooks up hard boiled eggs by the dozen for quick and
> easy
> breakfasts and snacks. When low carb meals and snacks are already
> prepared it makes it easier to eat right in my opinion. At times when
> there is nothing prepared in my fridge I have been known to take the
> easy way out and make a peanut butter sandwich.... At good times I
> have
> hard boiled eggs, muffin size frittatas, crudités, olives, meats etc.
> at
> the ready in the fridge. Another poster, Alan S, often has his low
> carb
> beef stew for breakfast. Yesterday at lunch, when my mouth was so sore
> and that one sensitive tooth howled every time I accidentally chewed
> with it, I opened a can of salmon, poured a bit of balsamic vinegar
> over
> it on the plate and scarfed it down. Afternoon tea was some ice-cream
> and tub of WW mango jelly with peaches Dinner was fried eggs and
> mushrooms, unfortunately the mushies hurt the tooth too much to eat.

Hi Oz,

Ouch! Get that tooth looked at.

Thank you for the tips! I make soft boiled eggs occasionally,
but can only eat a few and I am still hungry afterward.
Maybe I just don't know what to prepare them with?

That meat loaf thing sounds interesting. Any favorite
formulas/recipes?

______________

There was an infection under the tooth, had it x-rayed yesterday,
antibiotics have kicked in Add any low carb veggie to eggs to fill
it out. Maybe a bit of full fat cheese to much on as well. I don't have
a favourite meat loaf recipe as I toss in whatever I have at the time. I
do always mix in some "sausage mince" to use as a binder. Do remember
though that to make in a muffin tin you need fairly low fat ingredients
or you get a pool of fat around each muffin. Sausage mince is fatty.
From memory, JC used either Graham crackers or low carb bread as the
binder with some egg. So start with lean beef mince (what you call
hamburger?), some kind if binder like the bread or crackers, chopped
onion, herbs of your choice, one beaten egg, salt and pepper. I used a
bit of Worcestershire sauce sometimes and chopped tomatoes. I always
taste my raw mince mixtures before cooking to make sure they taste
right, especially with the salt.

As with most things, I sauté things like onion and garlic first for more
flavour. I would probably cook for about 20-25 mins at 350?F. We are
metric here, someone might suggest a different temp as I am guessing. I
haven't made these for a while but I do remember I loved them for lunch,
nuked, and with the salad veggies we have on hamburgers here (lettuce,
tomato, beetroot, lol) plus a dash of ketchup.

-T