Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default What do you non-insulin T2's eat for breakfast?

On 03/21/2013 12:25 PM, Billy wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> On 03/18/2013 06:18 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>>> . > wrote:
>>> : Julie > wrote:
>>>

>>> Something went wrong here with my post and all my material seems to not
>>> have come throughat all. It was a rather complicated series of

comments ,
>>> mostly to Julie about , not cites, but where I learned much of hte
>>> material about homnivores, Mad COw disease and feeding animals downed
>>> animals, etc from reading Newspapers and listening to news on teh

TV and
>>> Radio(Mostly NPR) as well as material I remember learning some 60 years
>>> ago in HS biology. I also learned about the harm that corn, actually a
>>> perfectly good food for non-diabetics if eaten within reason, is a
>>> terrible food that cannot be digested by cows. It tears up their guts.
>>> this information I read , in both Omnivore's dilemma by Polard and

Michael
>>> S---? book on the cattle industry, but i forget the name(senior

moment-it
> [...]

> <http://www.slate.com/articles/health...012/11/deer_ea
> t_meat_herbivores_and_carnivores_are_not_so_clearl y_divided.html>
> <http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzool...ry-in-cows-and
> -deer/>
>
>> Bad enough they
>> stand in their own scat (poop) in feed lots. Herbivore's
>> are conveyor belts: they walk and the grass (cellulose)
>> goes in one end and the scat goes out the other. They
>> never stand in their own scat. (Then birds eat the bugs
>> and then it decomposes into the soil and the grass
>> grows back. Full circle.)

> "Grass," so understood, is the foundation of the intricate food chain
> Joel Salatin has assembled at Polyface, where a half dozen different
> animal species are raised together in an intensive rotational dance on
> the theme of symbiosis. Salatin is the choreographer and the grasses are
> his verdurous stage; the dance has made Polyface one of the most
> productive and influential alternative farms in America.
>
> łThe Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals˛
> by Michael Pollan
> <http://www.amazon.com/Omnivores-Dile...als/dp/0143038
> 583/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815576&sr=1-1>
>
> (Available at a library near you)
>

>> About three years ago, before I knew about T2, I grew some
>> hybridized (for sugar content) corn. The crop bombed, but
>> I did get about one meal out of it. It was very tasty,
>> as is anything out of an organic garden. But, I do remember
>> it was so sweet it was like eating candy.

> And soon, because of GMOs, and hybrid plants, Monsanto, and their ilk
> will control the food we eat. Next time you grow a garden, use "open
> pollinated" seeds, and at least give yourself a chance to resist.
>
> <http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/articles/monsanto.htm>
>
> And here's how
>
> Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable
> Gardeners,
> by Suzanne Ashworth and Kent Whealy
> <http://www.amazon.com/Seed-Growing-T...rdeners/dp/188
> 2424581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238951517&sr=1-1>
>
> (Available at the same library near you)
>
>> Nice if they
>> hybridized it for protein and fat. Fat chance. Not as
>> addictive.

> Oh, Cargill, or Archer Daniels Midland would find some way to screw it
> up, all in the name of making a profit.
>
> The more general term glucose syrup is often used synonymously with corn
> syrup, since glucose syrup is in the United States most commonly made
> from corn starch. Corn syrup is distinct from high-fructose corn syrup
> (HFCS), which is created when corn syrup undergoes enzymatic processing,
> producing a sweeter compound that contains higher levels of fructose.
>
> Fructose (levulose) doesn't satiate as quickly as glucose (dextrose),
> and you end up eating MORE.
>>
>> Senior moments have an upside. Every morning you get to eat new
>> food, watch new movies, meet new people ...

Great read. Thank you! I did not realize they had figured out
a way to turn chickens into cannibals too. YUK! And cows
will eat most of anything they can catch, especially the
occational grass hopper that has a case of the slows. They
are suppose to eat grass.

I am remembering a documentary on full circle farming I watched
on Roku/netflix, but I don't remember the name, so I can not
reference it. In the documentary one full circle farmer in
Oregon said he was getting $1100 per acre where his neighbors
were getting $400 per acre just running conventional cows.
If what the framer said was true, I can see a switch to full
circle just on economic grounds.

His cows seemed really happy too. He said what he was really
doing was growing grass. (Grass, Produce, Turkeys, Turkey eggs,
Chickens, Chicken Eggs, Lamb, more grass.)

And what does this have to do with Diabetic cooking? If it does
not taste good, you won't eat it. Produce and meat that tastes
good will keep you from being tempted to go back to those
"food like substances". Which is why I am forcing myself to
learn how to cook diabetic. If the food tastes good and I
look forward to it, why would I ever be tempted? (Okay,
there is the body parts falling off aspect, but...) And,
when you get the cooking part down, it is actually a bit fun.

-T