Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default how long do you need to cook soup to become soup?

Billy > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: > : > I use both tomatoes and the reconstituted juice as that is what my
: > : > original recipe caled for and it gave , for me, the right amount of
: > : > tomato and liquid. this works with both fresh and canned tomatoes.
: > : > Beign willing to use the canned gives one a longer season, particualy up
: > : > north, when he ripe tomato seson is quite short adn the ones you can buy
: > : > in the stores are nt worth it, canned are better.
: > : >
: > : > Wendy.
: >
: > : It sounds very reasonable, but, without trying to sound condescending, I
: > : only drink gazpacho during the summer. When the coolness, and the bite
: > : of the vinegar is refreshing. During the winter, like most people, I
: > : simply try to find the least insecticide ridden tomatoes that I can, and
: > : wait grudgingly for the next season. Otherwise, for sauces, and stews
: > : ect., I look for the cans of tomatoes that say no salt added.
: >
: > : You can start your seeds anytime now. Some tomatoes are determinants
: > : that are only meant to be grown in pots (Glacier, Koralik, etc.). Then
: > : be sure to set out some basil plants. Basil, and tomatoes, are right in
: > : there with sweet corn as one of the delights of summer.
: >
: > i summer intermitantly in the Northern Catskills of NY. It really is zone
: > 4 on top of my hill. Last frost can be early June adn firsts frost can be
: > in early Sept, but is often later, say mid to late Sept. I no longer do
: > much gardeningfor assorted reasons,

: "just 3 tomato plants in a large tub on my deck and some flowers in
: boxes to cheer the place up. "
: -----

: So you are a gardener. You can't be alone. Others there must garden
: also, so there must be a nursery, no? Where you can buy starter plants.

: I often think that the perfume that come from the tomato vines is almost
: as pleasant as the tomato fruit itself. Chacun ? son g?ut, they say, but
: as good as a tomato is, it is even better with basil.

: I never had much use for parsley, until I grew it, then it suddenly
: became a mainstay of the kitchen, especially with saut?ed mushrooms with
: shallots, or saut?ed snow peas, or carrots, or green beans. As a
: garnish, it can go on all sorts of baked dishes.

: A little food for thought. Herb plants can be annual, biennial, or
: perennial. Perennial herbs, such as chives, lavender, oregano, thyme,
: overwinter well in the ground. In most areas simply wait until a few
: hard freezes and then cut back tall herbs to within 4 to 6 inches of the
: ground. In cold winter areas (USDA zones 3-5), add a 2- to 3-inch-thick
: layer of shredded bark mulch on top of the herbs for added protection.
: The bark will prevent the ground from freezing and thawing in winter,
: making it less likely the herb roots will heave out of the ground,
: desiccate, and die.

: Happy gardening.

: >
: > Local tomatoes don't show up until well into July from the garden markets
: > and the big farms are havign you pick'em end of season and canning
: > tomatoes right after labor Day. I love gazpacho and hate to limit it to
: > such a short season so make it once it is reasonably warm from the canned
: > tomatoes and do the same in the Fall. I used to start all kinds of thigs
: > from seed andin the early spring in NYC and bring them up in late May to
: > the Catskills and had variable success. Now, with no car and usin the bus
: > to get up ad down, this ha become impossible.
: >
: > Wendy

: "To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget
: ourselves."
: - Mahatma Gandhi

Billy, I am 77, use a rolling walker and have adult wet macular
degeneration. I am happy to have my fer deck plants and a botof basil
onmy windosill in the winter. I jsut look at the reat of my gardens going
to weed and seed adn try to remove the worst of the stinging nettles and
big tall weeds as I can a few at a time. Of course there is a nursery.
Where do you think I get my 3 tomato plantsand flowers for my deck boxes?
If I could still garden on the ground I would gladly do it,but it isno
longer possible. I can't even drive anymore so have to get locals to take
me to town to the stores fora few bucks. Few neighbors near meso I only
go up every other week.

Wendy