Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Billy[_9_] Billy[_9_] is offline

Default how long do you need to cook soup to become soup?

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Billy > wrote:
> : > : >
> : > : > I prefer to use a food processor for gazpacho as it chops rather than
> : > : > liqufies and i like the textures. If I usee canned dices tomatoes i
> : > : > may
> : > : > not even put them into the processor at all. Just a queston of what
> : > : > you
> : > : > prefer. If you are on a low salt regimin I suggest that rather than
> : > : > use
> : > : > tomato juice(even lower sat) that you use the a 6oz can of not salt
> : > : > aded tomato paste, reconstituted with 2-3 cans of water. Many brans
> : > : > of
> : > : > tomato paste are no salt, so just check your labels.
> : > : >
> : > : > Wendy
> : >
> : > : I use fresh tomatoes from the garden, with fresh peppers, and organic
> : > : celery, and carrots, along with 1/2 - 1 cup of vinegar. It's alot like
> : > : a
> : > : stew. You look in the garden, and/or the refrigerator to see what you
> : > : are going to use.
> : >
> : > I use both tomatoes and the reconstituted juice as that is what my
> : > original recipe caled for and it gave , for me, the right amount of
> : > tomato and liquid. this works with both fresh and canned tomatoes.
> : > Beign willing to use the canned gives one a longer season, particualy up
> : > north, when he ripe tomato seson is quite short adn the ones you can buy
> : > in the stores are nt worth it, canned are better.
> : >
> : > Wendy.
>
> : It sounds very reasonable, but, without trying to sound condescending, I
> : only drink gazpacho during the summer. When the coolness, and the bite
> : of the vinegar is refreshing. During the winter, like most people, I
> : simply try to find the least insecticide ridden tomatoes that I can, and
> : wait grudgingly for the next season. Otherwise, for sauces, and stews
> : ect., I look for the cans of tomatoes that say no salt added.
>
> : You can start your seeds anytime now. Some tomatoes are determinants
> : that are only meant to be grown in pots (Glacier, Koralik, etc.). Then
> : be sure to set out some basil plants. Basil, and tomatoes, are right in
> : there with sweet corn as one of the delights of summer.
>
> i summer intermitantly in the Northern Catskills of NY. It really is zone
> 4 on top of my hill. Last frost can be early June adn firsts frost can be
> in early Sept, but is often later, say mid to late Sept. I no longer do
> much gardeningfor assorted reasons,

"just 3 tomato plants in a large tub on my deck and some flowers in
boxes to cheer the place up. "
-----

So you are a gardener. You can't be alone. Others there must garden
also, so there must be a nursery, no? Where you can buy starter plants.

I often think that the perfume that come from the tomato vines is almost
as pleasant as the tomato fruit itself. Chacun à son gôut, they say, but
as good as a tomato is, it is even better with basil.

I never had much use for parsley, until I grew it, then it suddenly
became a mainstay of the kitchen, especially with sautéed mushrooms with
shallots, or sautéed snow peas, or carrots, or green beans. As a
garnish, it can go on all sorts of baked dishes.

A little food for thought. Herb plants can be annual, biennial, or
perennial. Perennial herbs, such as chives, lavender, oregano, thyme,
overwinter well in the ground. In most areas simply wait until a few
hard freezes and then cut back tall herbs to within 4 to 6 inches of the
ground. In cold winter areas (USDA zones 3-5), add a 2- to 3-inch-thick
layer of shredded bark mulch on top of the herbs for added protection.
The bark will prevent the ground from freezing and thawing in winter,
making it less likely the herb roots will heave out of the ground,
desiccate, and die.

Happy gardening.

> Local tomatoes don't show up until well into July from the garden markets
> and the big farms are havign you pick'em end of season and canning
> tomatoes right after labor Day. I love gazpacho and hate to limit it to
> such a short season so make it once it is reasonably warm from the canned
> tomatoes and do the same in the Fall. I used to start all kinds of thigs
> from seed andin the early spring in NYC and bring them up in late May to
> the Catskills and had variable success. Now, with no car and usin the bus
> to get up ad down, this ha become impossible.
>
> Wendy

"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget
ourselves."
- Mahatma Gandhi

--
Welcome to the New America.