Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another 1960's Casserole - fun!

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-03-19, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Green Layer:
>> ---------------------------------
>> 1 package lime-flavored gelatin

>> 1 cup grated cucumber
>> 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
>> 1/2 cup chopped celery

>> Red Layer
>> ------------------------------------
>> 1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin

>> 1 cup tomato juice
>> 1 teaspoon onion juice
>> 2 cups ground cooked turkey

>> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.

> Doesn't sound at all outta line with those times. JellO molds were
> insanely popular in the 50s and early 60s. I literally grew up on
> them. Raw green veggies like celery and cabbage and even cottage
> cheese in a lime JellO were classic everyday standards and not
> uncommon in restaurants. By the late 60s, they were pretty much a
> done deal, rebellious youth having protested that food trend into
> obscure history. JellO does not make for a good munchie.`
>
> Concerning the above recipe, I'd try it --once-- though I'm at a loss
> as to how one goes about juicing an onion. Didn't someone make a
> little plastic bottle of onion juice shaped kinda like an onion, the
> plastic cap coming to a curved point, like an onion sprout? My geezer
> brain struggles with some such memory.
>
> What I find fascinating is that Southern Living Magazine goes back
> that far. I had no idea.
>
> nb

My maternal grandma was big into copper stuff. She had the Revereware
copper bottomed pans. She was very proud of them and polished the bottoms
after every use. She also had a collection of copper Jell-O molds. I am
not sure if she actually used them or not. They hung on the wall and we
were not allowed to touch them. I do remember her being really big on
Jell-O salads though so she might have.

My mom said that Jell-O was quite a big deal when she was a kid. I could be
wrong on this but I think refrigerators were being made in those days but
most people still did not have them. They only had the ice box. So in
order to make the Jell-O, it had to be done when there was snow outside.
The bowl would be set in the snow so it would set up. Otherwise they could
set it out on the back porch on a cold day and hope for the best.

When I was a kid, my mom made Jell-O a lot. Not really sure why but she did
seem fond of it. She really liked to do the quick set method with the ice.
And for some reason that appealed to me. I liked to stir in the cubes and
watch it set up.