Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Another 1960's Casserole - fun!

On 2013-03-19, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Green Layer:
> ---------------------------------
> 1 package lime-flavored gelatin

> 1 cup grated cucumber
> 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
> 1/2 cup chopped celery

> Red Layer
> ------------------------------------
> 1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin

> 1 cup tomato juice
> 1 teaspoon onion juice
> 2 cups ground cooked turkey

> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.

Doesn't sound at all outta line with those times. JellO molds were
insanely popular in the 50s and early 60s. I literally grew up on
them. Raw green veggies like celery and cabbage and even cottage
cheese in a lime JellO were classic everyday standards and not
uncommon in restaurants. By the late 60s, they were pretty much a
done deal, rebellious youth having protested that food trend into
obscure history. JellO does not make for a good munchie.`

Concerning the above recipe, I'd try it --once-- though I'm at a loss
as to how one goes about juicing an onion. Didn't someone make a
little plastic bottle of onion juice shaped kinda like an onion, the
plastic cap coming to a curved point, like an onion sprout? My geezer
brain struggles with some such memory.

What I find fascinating is that Southern Living Magazine goes back
that far. I had no idea.

nb