Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another 1960's Casserole - fun!

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>I bought this magazine at a used book store just for this recipe. It
> was published the same month I was born. What's scary is that I think
> I have all the ingredients to make this (if I use tomato sauce inseatd
> of tomato juice). Can anybody help me with the, "garnish with
> poinsettia flowers of pimiento and green pepper."?
>
> Holiday Buffet Loaf
> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.
>
> Mrs. J.C Grigsby, Lehigh Acres, Florida, says this is a dish she
> serves often for bridge luncheons. With it she serves fruit
> salad, celery and carrot sticks.
>
> Green Layer:
> ---------------------------------
> 1 package lime-flavored gelatin
> 1 cup boiling water
> 3/4 cup ice
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 3 tablespoons vinegar
> 1 cup grated cucumber
> 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
> 1/2 cup chopped celery
>
> Disolve gelatin in hot water. Add cold water, salt, and vinegar.
> Chill until slightly thickened. Add vegetables and pour into
> mold. Chill until firm.
>
> Red Layer
> ------------------------------------
> 1-1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
> 1/2 cup cold water
> 1 cup tomato juice
> 1 teaspoon onion juice
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 2 cups ground cooked turkey
>
> Soak gelatin in cold water. Heat tomato juice; add gelatin and
> stir until completely dissolved. Chill until slightly thickened.
> Fold in seasonings and turkey. Put mixture over green layer and
> chill until firm. Unmold and garnish with poinsettia flowers of
> pimiento and green pepper.
>
> Source: Southern Living magazine, July 1967.

Uh... That one made me want to hurl! I did do Jell-O with chopped raw
veggies in it while pregnant but I can't remember why now. Must have been
some reason. I do remember having a couple of trays of little cups in the
fridge. One was the Jell-O and the other was a combination of Jell-O,
Jell-O pudding and assorted berries that had been cooked in the stuff. I
know that doing the berries like that was an attempt to get me to eat them.
Because I don't really like fruit. And I didn't really like those either.
So I didn't make those for long. And I eventually gave up on eating the
fruit. Didn't seem to have affected Angela any. Dietician said she would
suffer if I didn't eat 5 pieces of fruit daily. Most days I did manage to
eat one. Or at least part of one.

Do they even make onion juice any more? And what would you use it for?
Aside from this recipe that is...