Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another 1960's Casserole - fun!

jmcquown wrote:
> Look, no noodles! And yes, eggs in this... whatever the heck this is.
>
> The recipe appears to be a collaborative effort by Mrs. A. Hamilton
> Evans, Mrs. W. R. Puckett and Mrs. Robert H. Richards. (Notice women
> of that era didn't have their own first names. LOL)
>
> Chicken 'N Stuffing Scallop
> (Uh oh.) With Pimento Mushroom Sauce
>
> 1 8-oz. pkg. seasoned stuffing
> 3 c. chicken, cubed
> 1/2 c. butter, melted
> 1/2 c. flour
> 1/4 tsp. salt
> dash of pepper
> 4 c. chicken broth, cool
> 6 eggs, beaten
>
> Prepare stuffing according to package directions for dry stuffing.
> Spread in a 13X9X2 baking dish. Place chicken on top. Blend flour
> and seasoning into butter; add broth. Stir over low heat until
> mixture thickens. Stir in 1-2 Tablespoons of hot mixture into eggs;
> return to broth. Pour broth over chicken; bake at 325 degrees 40-45
> minutes until firm. Cool slightly; cut in squares. Serve with
> pimento mushroom sauce.
> Pimento Mushroom Sauce:
>
> 1 can condensed mushroom soup
> 1/4 c. milk
> 1 c. sour cream
> 1/4 c. pimento, chopped
>
> Combine all ingredients; stir over low heat until hot. Pour sauce
> over squares of chicken. Yield: 12 servings
>
> Okay... what sounds wrong here? "Squares of chicken" jumped right off
> the page It also appears the people who edited the 'Recipes on
> Parade' cookbooks were extremely fond of semi-colons.
>
> Jill

I think I have seen this recipe before but was not tempted to try it. I
have made a stuffing casserole. It was my own recipe. There was no cream
of anything in it though.

I also think that in the old days it was a lot more common to use semi
colons. I say this because when I transferred my first novel to Word on my
computer, I kept getting indications of typos. Kept telling me that I
needed semi colons. So I put them in. Then I tried reading through it.
And realized that it looked really stupid. Novels do not read like that.
Once in a while you'll see a semi colon but it wasn't anything nearly like
what mind looked like. I wound up never changing it. Would be too much of
a PITA to go through it and remove them all. Maybe one day when I have
literally nothing better to do. Subsequent versions of Word do not do this.