Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default My favourite soup

Todd > wrote:
: On 03/17/2013 09:26 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: > "Todd" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >> On 03/17/2013 07:36 PM, bigwheel wrote:
: >>
: >>>> Okay, I realize you said you had no vegi's, so recommending
: >>>> swiss chard stems is beside the point, but they work like
: >>>> celery without all the carbs. (Okay, you can use a celery
: >>>> stem as a seasoning, but then the rest of the batch goes bad
: >>>> waiting for the next seasoning incident. Chards don't
: >>>> last a week.)
: >>>>
: >>>> I keep some frozen vegis around just in case I can not find any
: >>>> fresh ones. Use about six frozen baby carrots in my chicken broth.
: >>>> Someday, maybe I will look up broccoli cheese soup.
: >>>>
: >>>> -T
: >>>
: >>> Thanks for the heads up on Chard. I heard of it but never seen any up
: >>> close. Course I was full grown before ever trying broccoli and
: >>> calliflower so guess there aint much mystery to that one. Now this is
: >>> the first I heard that celery is loaded up with carbs. Richard Simmons
: >>> always say it burn off more calories to chew it than you get from it.
: >>> This science changes fast..lol Or he wasn't worried about carbs maybe.
: >>
: >> Hi Big,
: >>
: >> Celery may taste a little better than chard so soup, but it is
: >> pretty close.
: >>
: >> Celery Raw:
: >>
: >> http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2396/2
: >>
: >> One cup chopped: 3 grams carbs.
: >>
: >> Okay for seasoning, but you wouldn't want to munch on them.
: >>
: >> -T
: >
: > Why in the world wouldn't you want to munch on them? They're very low in
: > carbs. If you think 3 grams is a lot of carbs for a cup, then I sure feel
: > sorry for you!

: Munch one? But, who stopped there? You are right, 3 grams per cups
: is pretty low. I do munch radishes. So, maybe I will try some. But
: more than half usually goes bad.
Celery cn replace crckers for dipas, etc, or can be stuffed with spicy
cheese mixtures of peanut butter if you like that. Also you can cut some
into thin sticks and leave it in a glass of water in the fridge for a
quick low carb snack when the munchies hit.

Wendy