Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Bjørn Steensrud Bjørn Steensrud is offline

Default My favourite soup

Billy wrote:

> What have you got in a low fat, low carb, low salt soup? Cooking soup
> with bacon, or ham shanks is too easy, and deadly for some of us.

Well, I guess this one isn't low carb exactly, but it's low fat and can be
salt free if you need it:

A winter favorite he the cheapest beef cut you can get, slice off the
fat, simmer (in water, no stock!) for ~2 hours with a quartered onion and a
quartered carrot, a bay leaf or two and some whole black peppercorns.

After an hour and a half, add vegetables: sliced carrots, a cubed slice of
rutabaga, parsley root, celery root, a bit of cut-up cabbage. Roughly 100 g
of each kind to 1 kg meat.

Remove meat and keep warm while serving the soup. Then serve meat with
whatever sauce you like, I do an onion sweet-and-sour sauce.

Had it today - I've heard of "pulled pork", this was "pulled beef", I think.