Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Who Was It That Recently Asked About A Hot Water Heater -- I'm In Hot Water!

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 02:06:10 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
wrote:

>sf > wrote:

>>> As I said, if it heats water, the term used for the device is a
>>> boiler. They range from smallish units for the house to large
>>> industrial sized 100 HP units in industrial or commercial settings. If
>>> you go to a 3000 room hotel in Las Vegas, chances are the domestic hot
>>> water for you shower is heated by a big Cleaver Brooks boiler.

>>> If they are heating water, it is a boiler. Sorry, but that is the
>>> proper term. Single family to big apartment complex, boilers heat the
>>> water. In smaller units like the house, they do both the heating and
>>> the domestic water.
>>> http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/weil-mclain/pc-boilers/

>> Like I said in another thread.... turn over enough rocks and you can
>> prove any point.
>>>
>>> You will see units that do both.
>>> http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/weil-m...ue-gas-boiler/
>>> ?Gas fired water boiler with cast aluminum heat exchanger
>>> ?Venturi mixing body mixes air and gas providing higher efficiency
>>> ?Designed to operate in low temperature condensing applications
>>> ?Outdoor reset and domestic hot water priority standard
>>>
>>> I don't know what is common in your town, but they are very common in
>>> the cooler climates. Millions of residential boilers exist. Probably
>>> 80% of the homes in New England have boilers. A few still have steam.
>>>

>> We had a hot water heater, not a boiler, when I lived in Michigan.
>> Water heaters have boilers in them, but no one and I mean NO ONE calls
>> the entire unit a boiler. Like I said before, commercial and public
>> buildings have large units called boilers but it is not a term used in
>> single family residential.

>Hot water heat systems use the term boiler, because it's a simple one word
>description. What else would you call it using one word.

Boiler is the correct nomenclature used in the home heating trade...
same as hot water heater is used rather than the full terminoligy;
domestic hot water heater... most building trade workers couldn't
spell domestic (they can't use three syllable words). There are
several catagories of boilers; cast iron, sheet metal, wet base,
etc... "boiler" is the correct building trades jargon... same as most
folks use that four letter word in lieu of sexual intercourse... I'll
bet there's not a person here who has ever said to their mate let's
have sexual intercourse/coitus... sf says "C'mon, penetrate me!",
hubby replies "Which orifice?" Probably the one to shut her up! LOL