Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Billy[_9_] Billy[_9_] is offline

Default What do you non-insulin T2's eat for breakfast?

<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2677008/>

> not vegetarian propaganda (pure vegetarian will kill
> you where pure meat will not),

A bit of an overstatement, B1 can be supplemented, or yeast can be added
to diet. Protein matching (corn & rice), or Quinoa can give essential
amino acids, and chocolate is a good source of tryptophan.

But,

Somewhere between 30 and 50 percent of the girls and women seeking
treatment for anorexia and bulimia are vegetarian. About a third of
the patients at the eating disorders program at Bloomington Hospital in
Bloomington, Indiana, are vegetarian. At the Harvard Eating Disorder
Clinic it's the same. Sheri Weitz, a nutrition therapist for the Radder
Institute in Los Angeles has fully half her clients identifying as
vegetarian.

The vegetarian women and girls who turn up at eating disorder
clinics in such huge numbers didn't start as anorexics who just hap-
pened to choose a vegetarian diet. It was the other way around. They
started by choosing vegetarianism, and the lack of tryptophan trig-
gered an eating disorder. Zinc deficiency also plays a role in mood dis-
orders and obsessive compulsive behavior, including eating disorders.
And a zinc deficiency is easy to court as a vegetarian.

And dieting produces its own biochemistry. Specifically, the lack
of tryptophan, zinc, and niacin can trigger a full-blown eating disor-
der. Adolescents are most vulnerable because their bodies and brains
are still growing and have higher nutritional needs. Julia Ross has
treated teenage girls who became anorexic while on their very first
diet. The precipitating incident is, essentially, living in this female-
hating culture. What begins as simple dieting ends in an addictive
cycle of either binging and purging or plain starvation.

p. 230 - 31
The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Keith
<http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Myt...ability/dp/160
4860804/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281718588&sr=1-1>
(Available at better libraries near you)

> than I do believe it
> is what is in the meat, not the meat itself. We
> are not carrion eaters. That is for vultures and ants.
> If it moves, it is food. If it doesn't, step over it.
> As a society, we eat some pretty discussing meat.
>
> I would also posit that vegetarians tend to eat more
> organic stuff than the general population. (Even if
> they are not really true vegetarians.) They tend
> to be more health conscientious.
>
> >> In my opinion, buy organic and CSA (community supported

> > Or grow a garden, and buy organic.

> 1+
>
> I suck as a farmer. I will try again this year.

> > Sadly, I still, occasionally, get the lust for salami.

> The hunter I mentioned has his own salami maker. He made
> up a bunch of moose salami last year. It was *insanely good*.
> No chemicals either. Smokes with with real wood or something,
> I don't remember the exact process. He is thinking of going
> for an elk this year.
>
> Maybe you could look into your own salami maker?

Thanks, but I usually avoid it.

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>