Posted to rec.food.cooking
gregz gregz is offline

Default Who Was It That Recently Asked About A Hot Water Heater -- I'm In Hot Water!

sf > wrote:

>>> YES! I know old public buildings and some super old apartment
>>> buildings (and those converted to condos) still operate with a boiler
>>> system - but come on... single family HOUSES? The only "modern"
>>> heating water source I know about is fed by the water heater, not a
>>> boiler (mid-century modern Eichler houses and modern bathrooms with a
>>> floor heating system in the floor).

>> As I said, if it heats water, the term used for the device is a
>> boiler. They range from smallish units for the house to large
>> industrial sized 100 HP units in industrial or commercial settings. If
>> you go to a 3000 room hotel in Las Vegas, chances are the domestic hot
>> water for you shower is heated by a big Cleaver Brooks boiler.
>>

>>> Define the parameters if it's not
>>> a single family house, which is what I think most of the people here
>>> were talking about in generalized terms. I don't know enough about a
>>> whole building boiler systems to know if hot water from a faucet comes
>>> from the same place that provides heat to the buildings or not. What
>>> I do know is that boiler systems are not commonly used in single
>>> family housing here... like Aga stoves, they are out of the ordinary.

>> If they are heating water, it is a boiler. Sorry, but that is the
>> proper term. Single family to big apartment complex, boilers heat the
>> water. In smaller units like the house, they do both the heating and
>> the domestic water.
>> http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/weil-mclain/pc-boilers/

> Like I said in another thread.... turn over enough rocks and you can
> prove any point.
>>
>> You will see units that do both.
>> http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/weil-m...ue-gas-boiler/
>> •Gas fired water boiler with cast aluminum heat exchanger
>> •Venturi mixing body mixes air and gas providing higher efficiency
>> •Designed to operate in low temperature condensing applications
>> •Outdoor reset and domestic hot water priority standard
>>
>> I don't know what is common in your town, but they are very common in
>> the cooler climates. Millions of residential boilers exist. Probably
>> 80% of the homes in New England have boilers. A few still have steam.
>>

> We had a hot water heater, not a boiler, when I lived in Michigan.
> Water heaters have boilers in them, but no one and I mean NO ONE calls
> the entire unit a boiler. Like I said before, commercial and public
> buildings have large units called boilers but it is not a term used in
> single family residential.

Hot water heat systems use the term boiler, because it's a simple one word
description. What else would you call it using one word.

I know of huge sections of the city, with one main steam plant feeding many
high rise buildings, blocks wide.

I also think hot water, even worse steam, can be less efficient, unless
flew to air recovery is used.

Greg