Posted to rec.food.cooking
JBurns JBurns is offline

Default Who Was It That Recently Asked About A Hot Water Heater -- I'm In Hot Water!

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:01:04 -0500, jay > wrote:

>In article
>,
> Kalmia > wrote:
>
>> On Mar 14, 12:06*pm, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
>> > Anyone needs a new hot water heater or just wants to save a bunch of
>> > money an On-Demand Tankless hot water heater works great..

>> Can you give us a little 'rithmetic on cost vs. projected savings?

>It will be fuzzy. Too many variables and many are not known. Every
>installation is different and the costs of services are different and
>hot water usage varies etc. The heater is very efficient but you can
>buy a lot of fuel for the difference in cost of installation in most
>cases. I have one and would be just as happy with the old fashion tank.
>Its a feel good kind of thing in many instances somewhat like hybrid or
>electric vehicles. They cost more to buy and when you need the battery
>in your Prius you just spent all that jingle you thought you were saving
>at the pump. Like a fancy watch ... some people want this stuff when
>they could get the time off their Iphone or Timex. Here, heating water
>is cheap but the water isn't.
>
>Also every time you crack the hot spigot open for a couple of seconds
>the heater fires up and if you don't run it a while you don't get hot
>water. If it is not placed in a very central location in regard to your
>kitchen and baths you have to run a lot of water before the hot stuff
>arrives. (Same with a standing tank) I have a circulation pump that
>keeps warm water in the lines and also keeps kicking on the heater to
>keep the circ water hot, using fuel. In larger homes you really need a
>number of them.. talking serious money now.
>
>AND.. they require annual maintenance to the tune of a couple hundred
>bucks a pop unless you buy a pump and 5 gallons of vinegar and do it
>yourself.
>
>jay

Not a feel good thing here. When you have three adults, 2 teenage boys
and two little girls in your household a storage tank hot water system
is just not going to cut it when everyone wants a morning shower.

The closest hot water taps to the unit get hot water within seconds,
the farthest (kitchen) in about 40 seconds. That sink has a gadget to
capture the running water until it gets hot.

JB