Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Who Was It That Recently Asked About A Hot Water Heater -- I'm In Hot Water!

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 13:39:38 -0500, jay > wrote:

>In article >,
> Brooklyn1 > wrote:
>

>> I don't know about the Noritz brand, why did you choose it?

>Was here first. Don't know what your installers told you but check this
>out... I keep mine set at 115 F degrees. (My dishwasher has a heater)
>The hotter the water the faster the scale builds up, and I was told it
>increases rapidly over 120 F. I really don't know if it is true but I'm
>experimenting. Mine is 6 years old and never been flushed. They tell
>you to pump vinegar through the heater annually. I don't... don't
>wanna. If it makes another 4 years I'll get a Rinnai if it doesn't I'll
>still get a Rinnai. The installation is not that difficult if you are
>plumbed for it already. I'm guessing you spent over 3K.

Mine is set at 115º too, they said that's more than adequate and it
certainly was when I tested it showering this morning, even had to add
a bit of cold. The highest it will go is 120º but they said so far no
one needed it that high... depends on how low the cold water
temperature is when it enters the unit. It does take a little longer
for hot water to come out the tap but maybe only a minute and a half
instead of the one minute previously... but still it gets warm much
quicker than it did before, probably because the unit is now placed
about halfway between bathrooms, the old system was close to the
laundry room. And now it's still winter temperatures here, it's in
the 20s today, so my cold water is pretty cold... I bet things will be
different in summer. I asked about maintenence, I have my own well, I
have a water softener and a particulate filter, they said I may never
need to flush it, but it's no big deal and they will be happy to
oblige... one of the nice things is I buy propane from them so service
is usually free or very minimal, except for special parts. They
charged me $2,400, that was for the unit, all the parts, and all the
labor... and there was a lot of parts and plenty of labor needed after
removing the storage tanks, circulators, electricals and all the
extraneous plumbing. The thing I can tell you is that Rinnai doesn't
warranty the unit unless a qualified installer does the install. It's
too soon to tell but so far I love it.