Brian Mailman

Default Fermented Pickle Problem?

Ross Reid wrote:

> Brian Mailman > wrote:
>
> >Ross Reid wrote:
> >
> >> With pickles and sauerkraut, the fermentation is mainly via bacteria
> >> and takes upwards of 4 to 6 weeks so, there is not really any sign of
> >> an active fermentation.

> >Hmmm... I dunno. My sours start in at about 3 days, and no longer than
> >a week.
> >

> Do you mean your fermented pickles start to ferment in no longer than
> a week, or that they finish in no longer than a week?

Yes, and possibly both depending on the weather.

> I've been making fermented dills and sauerkraut for well over 20 years
> and I've never had either dills or kraut finish in as short a time as
> a week or even less.

Perhaps we're speaking of two different fermentation processes?
Salt-brined pickles never take more than 3 days to begin bubbling for
me.

> Although I only started making pickles and sauerkraut some twenty odd
> years ago,

Not important, my g'ma said to me almost 45-50 years ago that it's one
of those things that if you do correctly once is all you need.

B/