Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Billy[_9_] Billy[_9_] is offline

Default Jonesing for tomatoes!

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 03/05/2013 09:41 AM, Billy wrote:
> > In article >, Todd >
> > wrote:

> >> Hi Julie,
> >>
> >> Magnesium. Hmmm. Interesting. I have to supplement,
> >> or I get cramps and eye ticks. And, I eat a lot of tomatoes.
> >> Hmmm. An excuse to eat more tomatoes. Thank you!
> >>
> >> My local community farm is closed for the winter. Won't
> >> open till March 1st. I am going through tomato withdrawal.
> >> The store bought, picked green, tomatoes I have been forced
> >> to eat for the past couple of months are just horrible.
> >>
> >> If you have one of these farms near by. You must stop in.
> >> At mine, you have to pick them yourself ($2.99/lb),
> >> which I find a blast. When I enter the tomato green house,
> >> I get tipsy on all the free oxygen and have to restrain
> >> myself from yelling: I WANT THEM ALL!
> >>
> >> Ripe organic tomatoes off all different varieties. It will
> >> blow your mind! You will hate ever having to eat a store
> >> bought tomato again.
> >>
> >> -T

> > Wow, whoever thought that fresh tomatoes would be better than
> > store-bought? Oh yeah, everybody!
> >
> > Alice Waters, famous foodie and restaurateur of Chez Pannisse, was
> > quoted by an interviewer as saying "One of the best tomatoes IΉve ever
> > had was an "Early Girl" that was dry farmed up in Napa at a friendΉs
> > house".
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-QzLIjL1u4
> >

> Hi Billy,
>
> I am going out of my mind waiting.
>
> Oh and I have a tomato press in storage. Run some fresh real
> tomatoes through it, add basil, garlic, evoo. And, Oh My!
> And low carb too (no sugar needed to cover up the crappy, picked
> too green tomatoes).
>
> One problem. No pasta allowed to pour it over? Poop!
>
> -T

Yeah , and I'm addicted to fresh gazpacho, but the sad truth is that a
pound of fresh tomatoes is about 2/3 of an oz. of sugar.

You can make pasta a little more palatable with whole wheat pasta.
I also like tomato sauce over zucchini, stuffed or other wise.
I'm open to other suggestions.

I have discovered that green tomatoes, that unfulfilled promise of what
could have been, that haunts gardeners in the fall, can replace
tomatillos in making salsa verde for enchiladas.

Enchiladas Verdes
Ingredients
Recipe makes 4 servings Change Servings

€ 2 bone-in chicken breast halves
€ 2 cups chicken broth
€ 1/4 white onion
€ 1 clove garlic
€ 2 teaspoons salt
€ 1 pound fresh tomatillos, husks removed (or green tomatoes)
€ 5 serrano peppers (to taste: I use 2 or 3 + an anaheim for flavor)
[my wife is sensitive to heat, I like jalapenos, our daughter eats raw
habaneros]
€ 1/4 white onion
€ 1 clove garlic
€ 1 pinch salt
€ 12 corn tortillas
€ 1/4 cup vegetable oil
€ 1 cup crumbled queso fresco (I use grated monterey Jack)
€ 1/2 white onion, chopped
€ 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions
1. In a saucepan, combine chicken breast with chicken broth, one
quarter onion, a clove of garlic, and 2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil,
and then boil for 20 minutes. Reserve broth, set chicken aside to cool,
and discard onion and garlic. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken
with your hands.

2. Place tomatillos and serrano chiles in a pot with water, enough to
cover them. Bring to boil, and continue boiling until tomatillos turn a
different shade of green (from bright green to a dull, army green [about
6-7 min.]). Strain tomatillos and chiles, and place in a blender with
another quarter piece of onion, 1 clove garlic, and a pinch of salt.
Pour in reserved chicken broth, so that liquid just covers the veggies
in the blender by about an inch. Blend all ingredients until they are
completely pureed. Pour salsa in a medium saucepan, and bring to a low
boil.

3. Pour oil in a frying pan, and allow to get very hot. Slightly fry
tortillas one by one in hot oil, setting each on a paper towel
afterwards to soak some of the oil. Finally, dip slightly fried
tortillas in low-boiling green salsa, until tortillas become soft again.
Place on plates, 3 per person.

4. Fill or top tortillas with shredded chicken, then extra green
sauce. Top with crumbled cheese, chopped onion, and chopped cilantro.

I suggest an over-priced microbrewery beer an an accompaniment.

Refried beans, and rice are also good with this meal, if you can deal
with them.

Mmmmm, muy bueno.

--
Welcome to the New America.