Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking
Dave West[_2_] Dave West[_2_] is offline

Default Maximum sugar without choking fermentation?

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message
> Dave West > wrote:

>>> Bad choice!

>>> Grams ABV SG
>>> ----- ----- -----
>>> 100 5.17 1.037
>>> 150 7.69 1.056
>>> 200 10.12 1.075
>>> 250 12.46 1.094
>>> 300 14.72 1.113
>>> 350 16.91 1.132

>>> It's called 'Sugar Shock' and it depends on the yeast you're using.

>> Many thanks. Would you be able to explain to a complete novice why thed
>> dried baking yeast is not advisable? I've made a couple of batches
>> now using 125gm sugar per litre, one lot using baking yeast and one
>> using a wine yeast.
>>
>> For the life of me, i cannot tell the difference between the end results
>> of the two; either in terms of taste, length of fermentation or anything
>> else.
>>
>> The baking yeast is a fraction of the cost, so in terms of making this
>> simple low alcohol brew (6.0 ABV approx) brew; would you still suggest I
>> really need to spend the extra on the wine yeast? Thanks.

> Several years ago I posted a recipe for Cheateu Trailer Park and, without
> searching for it, I am certain the recipe used bakers yeast. Why bakers
> yeast? Because I didn't care how it tasted, how sweet or how dry its
> finish was, and whether or not it had fruity, earthy, or no esters. So
> if you don't care about those issues, go ahead and use bakers yeast.
> Dick

Because I didn't care how it tasted, how sweet or how dry its
> finish was, and whether or not it had fruity, earthy, or no esters. So
> if you don't care about those issues, go ahead and use bakers yeast.
> Dick

Dick you dont want to turn me into an obsessive do you? It's well known the
*arbitrary* nature of the conscious brain can overide sensory perception, so
you no longer really know what you are tasting.