Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking
Dick Adams[_3_] Dick Adams[_3_] is offline

Default Maximum sugar without choking fermentation?

Dave West > wrote:
> "Dick Adams" > wrote:
>> Dave West > wrote:

>>> I'm using Allison's dried baking yeast which I know is not as alcohol
>>> tolerant as wine yeast.

>> Bad choice!

>>> I understand that 100 gm of granulated sugar to one litre of water
>>> gives about 5% of alcohol by volume roughly. I would like to increase
>>> the alcohol content slightly, so just as a rough guide;

>> Grams ABV SG
>> ----- ----- -----
>> 100 5.17 1.037
>> 150 7.69 1.056
>> 200 10.12 1.075
>> 250 12.46 1.094
>> 300 14.72 1.113
>> 350 16.91 1.132

>>> what would likely be the most sugar I could add per litre at the
>>> onset of the process, without the fermentation process choking up?

>> It's called 'Sugar Shock' and it depends on the yeast you're using.

> Many thanks. Would you be able to explain to a complete novice why thed
> dried baking yeast is not advisable? I've made a couple of batches
> now using 125gm sugar per litre, one lot using baking yeast and one
> using a wine yeast.
>
> For the life of me, i cannot tell the difference between the end results
> of the two; either in terms of taste, length of fermentation or anything
> else.
>
> The baking yeast is a fraction of the cost, so in terms of making this
> simple low alcohol brew (6.0 ABV approx) brew; would you still suggest I
> really need to spend the extra on the wine yeast? Thanks.

Several years ago I posted a recipe for Cheateu Trailer Park and, without
searching for it, I am certain the recipe used bakers yeast. Why bakers
yeast? Because I didn't care how it tasted, how sweet or how dry its
finish was, and whether or not it had fruity, earthy, or no esters. So
if you don't care about those issues, go ahead and use bakers yeast.

Dick